Our facility is state-of-the-art, but not in the way of your typical big-box gyms. We don’t have ellipticals or weight machines. We use your body and real weights to create free, natural movement. We only have machines that mimic functional movement, and none of those that don’t contribute to overall health and a lean, conditioned body.
We welcome you to take a look around our box and our equipment – you won’t see full length mirrors but you’ll see results in your own mirror and in the fit of your clothes when you make the move to functional fitness.
1. Training for Mastery. We consider The Mill Fitness a School of Mastery. Mastery? You thought you were searching for just a gym! While yes, we are a ‘gym’, but the benefits of participation in our program spill into all other areas of your life. We put words like resilience, grit, integrity, determination, persistence, responsibility, service, commitment, and fun into regular practice helping you develop habits that lead to mastery in other aspects of your life.
2.The Sticky Factor. What’s going to keep your desire for change alive and transform it into a regular way of life? That is the essence of our program. We are about providing, cultivating, and nurturing the ‘fertile ground’ in which you can grow and reach your full potential.
3. We Meet You Where You Are. Everyone comes into our community with a different background, knowledge and experience level. We’ve developed a system that allows you to join in starting from where you are, learning at your pace, yet stretching slightly outside of your comfort zone. Goals are reached through practice, support of our community & coaches, and consistency.
4. Small Successes. If you make HUGE changes all of a sudden and set goals way beyond your current ability, this is often a way to set yourself up for failure. That’s NOT what we do. Our program encourages you to take small, appropriate adjustments to your current norm that are within your known ability to sustain. They’ll stretch and challenge you, but just enough, keeping you engaged, healthy, and growing each day.
5. Systematic Programming. CrossFit built its workout programming on intensity and variety. And while going hard most of the time can work (especially when we’re young), throwing ourselves against a wall day after day with the mindset of “go hard or go home” can lead to chronic pain and injury.
At The Mill Fitness, we do all our own programming. The focus of each training day falls in one of three distinct areas: Practice (60% of training), Competition (30% of training), Mental Toughness (10% of training). The vast majority of our training is in the area of “practice”. Honing movement skills in the spirit of fun, intentional virtuosity, and a willingness to learn gives your practice solid context and sustainability.
6. Off-The-Floor Coaching. It’s one thing to come to class and work out, quite another to look at how your training fits into your overall life plan. Taking full advantage of our program means checking in quarterly with your assigned coach. Use your quarterly review as a template for your continued progress and growth.