- 3 tablespoons melted ghee, divided
- 10 ounces canned albacore tuna packed in water, drained
- 3 scallions thinly sliced (approx. 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 1/3 cup mashed baked sweet potato
- Finely grated zest from ½ medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium lemons, cut into wedges (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, ad use a brush to grease a 12-cup regular sized muffin tin with 1 tablespoon of melted ghee (or line the tin with parchment muffin liners)
- In a large bow, mix together the tuna, scallions, and cilantro. Add the mashed sweet potato to the tuna mixture, and gently combine.
- Mix in the lemon zest, jalapeno, the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee, eggs, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use your hands to mix everything together so the fish chunks don’t become overly broken up
- Scoop a quarter cup of the mixture into each greased muffin tin cup and flatten with the back of a spoon
- Bake the cakes for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool. The easiest way is to place the wire rack on top of the muffin tin and flip everything upside-down, and tap them gently on the counter
- Optional: squeeze lemon juice on the tuna cake before you pop in your mouth.
- Store them in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
Thank you to Nom Nom Paleo for the recipe!